Many plant lovers have began incorporating Biophilic design into their homes. Biophilic home design has been known to provide so many benefits to our health but what exactly is Biophilic design in relation to indoor gardening.
Biophilic home design
Biophilic design is a concept that incorporates natural elements into the built environment. This can include things like plants, natural materials, and views of nature. Biophilic design has been shown to have a number of benefits for both physical and mental health. I have change my home to create a more biophilic design that benefits my mental health and you can too.
Benefits of biophilic design for physical health:
- Improved air quality: Plants can help to improve air quality by absorbing pollutants and releasing oxygen.
- Reduced stress levels: Studies have shown that exposure to nature can help to reduce stress levels and improve mood.
- Improved sleep quality: Being exposed to natural light and darkness can help to regulate our circadian rhythms and improve sleep quality.
Benefits of biophilic design for mental health:
- Increased creativity: Studies have shown that exposure to nature can boost creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Improved mood: Spending time in nature has been shown to improve mood and reduce feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Increased well-being: Biophilic design has been shown to improve overall well-being and quality of life.
How to Create a biophilic home
- Add houseplants: Plants are one of the simplest and most effective ways to add biophilic elements to your home. Choose plants that are appropriate for your climate and indoor environment.
- Use natural materials: Natural materials like wood, stone, and textiles can help to create a more calming and relaxing atmosphere.
- Add views of nature: If possible, try to incorporate views of nature into your home. This could include a window that overlooks your garden or a balcony\ patio with plants.
- Use water features: Water features can help to create a sense of calm and serenity in your home. The sound of water is so soothing.
- Open your windows: Allowing air to flow through your home connects you to nature and can provide bird and other soothing animal noises.
Add in any or all of the suggested elements above to create your own biophilic home design. You will not be disappointed.