Amaryllis are relatively easy to care for, but they can be susceptible to a few problems. Some issues are easily treatable and some require a little bit more effort.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase I may receive a small commision to fund my garden habit.
Common amaryllis plant problems:
- Overwatering: This is the most common problem with amaryllis. If you overwater your amaryllis, the bulb will rot and the plant will die. To prevent overwatering, water your amaryllis only when the soil is dry 1-2 inches down.
- Underwatering: If you underwater your amaryllis, the leaves will wilt and the plant may not bloom. To prevent underwatering, water your amaryllis regularly, but do not overwater.
- Not enough light: Amaryllis need bright, indirect light to bloom. If your amaryllis is not getting enough light, the leaves will be pale and the plant may not bloom. To give your amaryllis more light, move it to a brighter location to keep it happy.
- Not enough fertilizer: Amaryllis need fertilizer to bloom. If your amaryllis is not getting enough fertilizer the plant may not bloom. To fertilize your amaryllis, use a balanced liquid fertilizer every 2-3 weeks until bloom. After your plant blooms you can fertilize monthly
- Diseases: Amaryllis can be susceptible to a few diseases, such as red blotch and botrytis. If your amaryllis is infected with a disease, the leaves may develop spots or lesions. To treat certain diseases, you may need to use a fungicide. If you are unsure if your plant has a disease or not the quickest place to find answers is google.
FULL Amaryllis growing guide here!
Here are some tips to help you prevent amaryllis problems:
- Choose a healthy bulb when you purchase it.
- Plant the bulb in a pot that is the correct size.
- Use a well-draining potting soil.
- Water your amaryllis regularly, but do not overwater.
- Fertilize your amaryllis every 2-3 weeks.
- Give your amaryllis bright, indirect light.
- Inspect your amaryllis regularly for signs of problems.
With a little care and attention, you can enjoy beautiful amaryllis blooms issue free!