Create a no dig flowerbed the slow and easy way! It’s not super easy but it is when you need to create a huge bed and don’t want the labor of removing large amounts of grass. Check out my steps to creating a no dig flowerbed!
1. Outline the space where you want your new bed. You can use spray paint to mark the space or you can use stone, cardboard or any other item to mark off the space.
2. Gather cardboard or used lawn bags to be your composting layer.
3. Lay your cardboard within the bed parameters you created. Make sure that you remove all tape from the cardboard before using. The tape will not compost and you’ll be picking tape out of your new bed the following year
4. As you are laying out your cardboard or lawn bags wet them down with the hose. This starts the composting cycle and keeps your cardboard from blowing away as your working. Speaking from experience.
5. Now this step is optional but I choose to do it because I had compost on hand and this area has lots of tree roots at the surface. I put down a layer of compost on top of the lawn bags and cardboard.
6. After spreading your compost layer if you choose to do that you will now spread your choice of mulch on top. Hose it all down and your done!
Now if you’ve followed along you’ve got your cardboard layer then your compost layer and lastly your mulch layer. That’s one perfect lasagna bed! Leave that bed to compost down for 3-6 months before use and you’ll have your self a wonderful new garden bed with no digging involved!
Leave a Reply