Coleus make gorgeous statement and filler plants in the garden. They add fullness and a pop of color that can brighten up those all-green spaces in the garden. One thing you may not know about Coleus is that they are very easy to grow from seed.
You can purchase seeds in your big box stores or local greenhouses at a reasonable price. If you are unable to find any locally you can find some on Amazon
All you need to get started growing coleus are seeds, pots and seed starting soil.
- Add two seeds per pot
- Fill your pots with your seed starting mix
- Cover with 1/4 inch of soil
- Water them in and continue to keep the soil moist
- Place them in a bright location or under grow lights
- Once they’ve sprouted, you can begin giving them a low-dose fertilizer and continue keeping them in bright light and moist soil.
When your seedlings get about 6-8 inches tall, you can pinch them to make fuller, bushier plants. Coleus are very easily propagated in water. Propagation is a great way to make those garden bucks go further!
Coleus make beautiful stand-alone and filler plants in the garden. Growing them from seed makes it all the more rewarding.