Owning rare houseplants has become a sort of status symbol. If you have [ Insert rare plant] you are seen as someone of influence and are sought out for plant care advice and inspiration. Since the pandemic more people have become obsessed with taking care of houseplants. Seeking out the rare and unusual plants has become quite the addiction as well for some. These new “rare plants” often come with a heavy price tag and a more complicated care routine. Many have spent lots of money only to lost those rare plants because they just aren’t suited for inside life. I’ve got some great tips and ideas to help you keep those rare and often finicky houseplants alive!
Here are your tips and tricks for caring for rare houseplants:
- Do your research. Before you bring any rare or unusual houseplants into your home, it is important to do your research to learn about its specific needs. This includes the plant’s light requirements, water needs, humidity requirements, fertilizer and soil requirements.
- Provide the right conditions. Once you know the plant’s needs, you need to provide the right conditions in your home. This may mean adjusting the amount of light, water, or humidity in your home.
- Be patient. These houseplants can be more difficult to care for than common houseplants. It is important to be patient and give the plant time to adjust to its new environment.
- Be prepared to troubleshoot. Even if you do everything right, there may be times when your plant experiences problems. Be prepared to troubleshoot the problem and take steps to correct it.
- Enjoy your plant! Rare plants are a joy to care for and can add a touch of beauty and uniqueness to your home. Enjoy your plant and watch it thrive.
Here are a few popular rare houseplants to add to your collection:
- Variegated Monstera Thai Constellation is a highly sought-after plant with beautiful, variegated leaves. It is a hybrid of Monstera deliciosa and Monstera borsigiana, and the variegation is a result of a genetic mutation.
- Alocasia Frydek Variegata is a gorgeous plant with large, heart-shaped leaves that are splashed with white and pink variegation. It is a relatively new variety of Alocasia, and it is still quite rare.
- Philodendron Florida Ghost is a rare and unusual philodendron with white-streaked leaves. It is a hybrid of Philodendron verrucosum and Philodendron hastatum, and it is known for its beautiful foliage.
- Anthurium crystallinum is a beautiful anthurium with velvety, heart-shaped leaves.
- Variegated String of Pearls is a succulent plant with small, bead-like leaves.
These are just a few of the many rare houseplants that are available. If you are looking for a unique and eye-catching plant, then one of these rare plants might be right for you. However, be warned that these plants can be very expensive and difficult to find.
Here are some additional rare plant tips:
- Start with a small collection. If you are new to caring for rare houseplants, it is best to start with a small collection. This will allow you to learn about the different plants’ needs and to make sure that you are able to provide them with the right conditions.
- Talk to other plant collectors. There are many online and offline communities of plant collectors who are happy to share their knowledge and experience. Talking to other collectors can be a great way to learn about new plants and to get tips on caring for them.
- Be prepared to spend some money. Rare houseplants can be more expensive than common houseplants. Be prepared to spend some money to get the plants you want.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. There is no one right way to care for rare plants. Experiment with different conditions and see what works best.
These tips should get you off to a good start with your new rare plant babies!